These great chocolaty cupcakes with an identity crisis seemed the perfect thing! They're a cross between a brownie and chocolate cake. These turn out very moist and with a great fudge brownie flavor.
Recipe: Cocoa Fudge Cupcakes
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup shortening, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbs. instant coffee
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. rum flavoring (or 2 tbs. light rum)
- 2-4 tbs. hot water
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place paper liners in 24 small muffin cups. In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together shortening and sugar until just fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, and instant coffee and beat just until combined. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa. Add buttermilk to sugar mixture and combine. Add flour mixture and beat at medium high speed for about 3-5 minutes, until batter is smooth and uniform with no lumps.
- Spoon batter into prepared cups and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely and glaze.
- Place melted butter in medium bowl. Add powdered sugar and flavoring and stir until combined. Add enough hot water to achieve a smooth and glossy consistency.
For a vanilla glaze substitute vanilla extract for the rum extract. This can also be used with orange or lemon juice as well.
Total time: 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 12
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Copyright © Buck Bannister and Sugar Pies.
Recipe by .