Last year there was the story of Mama and the Mardi Gras Cake, a humorous look at my mother collecting a recipe in a 5-star hotel in New Orleans. This year, I though I might adapt that delicious but time consuming cake with its lovely butterscotch flavor into an easy to do cupcake.
At first I thought of cutting out the centers of the cupcakes and filling them with the butterscotch praline filling used in the original cake and then icing them with the Seafoam icing from the original. But, as I pondered those choices, I realized I really wouldn't be cutting down on the time or the effort. So, I finally decided to go simple. I would adapt the butterscotch cake and then use a vanilla buttercream icing. I'd top it all off with sprinkles in the traditional Mardi Gras colors of purple, green, and gold.
The result? A great tasting cupcake that looks right at home on a table decorated with Mardi Gras beads or other tokens! Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Recipe: Mardi Gras Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup Nestle Butterscotch Morsels
- 1/4 cup water 2 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour (sifted)
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening (may use 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup shortening)
- 3 eggs (unbeaten)
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces (sold as "cookie pieces"), optional
- 32 oz. powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tbs. vanilla extract
- Green, Gold, and Purple Sprinkles
- Grease and flour muffin tins or cupcake pans and set aside. If using cupcake liners, place in pans. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Melt butterscotch morsels in water in saucepan and let cool slightly.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine sugar and shortening. Blend in eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Blend in butterscotch. Mix well. Add dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk and beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix well on low speed. Stir in pecan pieces, if using.
- Using a spoon or ice cream scoop, dip batter in prepared cupcake or muffin tins until about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 375° 12-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes away cleanly with only a few crumbs.
- Let cool and ice with vanilla butter cream frosting. Sprinkle with green, gold, and purple sprinkles. This recipe makes about 18 regular size cupcakes.
To make frosting:
- Place butter and powdered sugar in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat on low speed until butter in mixed with sugar. Add vanilla extract and milk then increase speed to medium high until frosting is smooth and spreadable. Add more milk or sugar if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- Spread or pipe onto cupcakes and decorate with colored sprinkles.
Cooking time (duration): 30 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 12 Cupcakes
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Copyright © Buck Bannister & Sugar Pies.
Recipe by .
Recipe by .