When I sat down this week to try to come up with something for Karin and her homeless project, I decided to look in the direction of chocolate. I thought of a classic chocolate-chocolate chip cookie. Then I thought about adding a white chocolate dip which seemed even better. Now we had Triple Chocolate Cookies. As I was grabbing supplies off the shelf in the baking aisle the other day, my eye happened to land on some "cherry morsels." They looked like chocolate chips only cherry flavored and red. "How cute?" I thought. I grabbed a bag and decided to add them to my Triple Chocolate Cookies to create Triple Chocolate Cherry Cookies. Of course, if you can't find the cherry morsels you can always use dried cherries or maraschinos which have been finely chopped.
These are really fun cookies with a nice presentation and a big chocolate and cherry flavor. Whether or not it's Christmas this classic combination deserves a trial any time of year!
Recipe: Triple Chocolate Cherry CookiesThree kinds of chocolate make this cookie an over the top hit! Add the classic flavor of chocolate covered cherries and you've got a cookie that will please any crowd!
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 1oz. squares of unsweetened chocolate, melted then cooled
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs. cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 oz. cherry morsels (or 1 1/2 cups dried cherries, chopped)
- 12 oz. package white chocolate chips, melted, for dipping
- In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add milk and egg and mix well. Add melted chocolate and vanilla and mix until combined. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in small bowl. Add to chocolate mixture and mix just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips and cherry morsels. Refrigerate dough for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment and drop dough by teaspoons (or use a cookie scoop) onto sheets. Bake until cookies are set - about 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool on sheets for 2-4 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- For white chocolate dip: Melt 1/2 of package of white chocolate chips in microwave proof bowl on high for 30 seconds. Stir chocolate and heat in 15 second intervals, stirring each time until chocolate is melted. Dip one end of cookies in chocolate and allow excess to drain back into bowl. Place dipped cookies on wax paper lined baking sheets until chocolate is cooled. As chocolate is used up, add more chips and reheat to complete all of the cookies.
Total time: 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 50 cookies
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Copyright © Buck Bannister and Sugar Pies.
Recipe by .