Once upon a time I had a pretty large wardrobe. I loved to shop and I loved to shop so much that it often got me into financial difficulty. I finally managed to curb that behavior and now have just a few outfits that I can mix and match to dress up or down depending on the occassion. Luckily, living in the Southwest, most things are pretty casual.
I also like food that can be dressed up or down. So, as I was contemplating the opera on Saturday and what to wear my mind drifted to the remainder of the cherry morsels I had in the cabinet after the Triple Chocolate Cherry Cookies. Could I create a chocolate and cherry cake that could be dressed up for dinner parties or dressed down for everyday desserts?
I think I succeeded with this one. The cake itself is delicious with a moist interior that is reddish in color like Red Velvet Cake and topped with a satiny smooth chocolate glaze that is thick and luscious. You can amp up the red by the use of food coloring if you wish. Unfortunately, my red food coloring has gone AWOL. If you want to go the simple route you can prepare it as I have in the photos with the glaze and some chocolate and red sprinkles. If you want a dressy version you can use the glaze and then make circlets of buttercream or stabilized whipped cream and top each circlet with a Maraschino cherry. If you're really, really wanting a show piece you can bake the cake in layers and increase the glaze amount and make a layered cake topped with the glaze and center a bed of white buttercream or stabilized whipped cream on top and then pile cherries on the buttercream or whipped cream. It's really up to you because the interior of the cake is a wonderful blend of cherry flavors and chocolate!
Recipe: Chocolate Cherry Cake
Summary: Luscious flavors of cherry and chocolate in a moist cake that can be dressed up or down for any occasion!
- 1 cup Log House Cherry Morsels
- 4 tbs. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dutch process cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- For Glaze:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tbs. butter, softened
- 1 tbs. light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-cup Bundt pan and set aside.Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Stir together heavy cream and sour cream in measuring cup.
- Melt cherry morsels and 4 tbs. chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl at 70% power for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir and repeat in 30 second intervals until chips are melted and smooth.
- In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together butter, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in melted chocolate and cherry chips until well blended. Add 1/3 of flour mixture and mix until incorporated. Add 1/2 of cream mixture and beat well. Add another 1/3 of flour mixture until incorporated and then remainder of cream mixture. Finish with remainder of flour mixture. Do not over beat, just mix until no traces of flour remain and then use a rubber spatula to scrape sides of bowl and complete mixing.
- Spoon batter (it is fairly thick) into prepared Bundt pan and smooth with spatula. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick or skewer inserted in center of cake comes out with just a few crumbs adhering.
- Remove cake to cool on wire rack in pan for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto rack or plate and allow to cool completely.
- Glaze with chocolate glaze and decorate as desired.
In microwave safe bowl combine chocolate chips, butter, and corn syrup. Heat at 70% power for 1-2 minutes and stir. Continue heating and stirring in 30-second intervals until mixture is smooth. Add vanilla extract and whisk until smooth and glossy. Pour over cooled cake allowing glaze to drip down sides.
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 16
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Copyright © Buck Bannister and Sugar Pies.