This recipe, adapted from Cook's Country, incorporates both cocoa and chocolate pieces to achieve a double hit of chocolate goodness. The addition of the eggs and the chocolate chips at the last moment insures a great chewy texture without being over sweet. I love the way adding the chips allows them to melt toward the bottom of the brownie giving you a rich fudgy layer topped by the more cake-like brownie layer. This is almost like an upside down Texas Sheet Cake in miniature!
You'll find this a snap to do and your brownies will certainly be a hit. If you've ever had problems with your brownies turning out dry or more like chocolate cake, try this recipe which is nearly foolproof for rich chewy double chocolate brownies.
Recipe: Super Chewy Double Chocolate Brownies
Summary: Rich and chewy, these brownies are the epitome of chocolate goodness!
- 1/3 cup dutch processed cocoa (or regular cocoa)
- 1 1/2 tsp. instant coffee or espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbs. boiling water
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbs. vegetable shortening, melted
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and preheat oven to 350. Make a foil sling for a 9x13-inch pan by folding an 18-inch length of tinfoil into an 8-inch wide strip. Lay this across the bottom of the pan along the longest side. Fold a 14-inch length of tinfoil into a 12-inch strip (if using an extra wide roll) and lay this across the width of the pan. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk cocoa, coffee powder, and boiling water together in a large bowl. Add chopped semi-sweet chocolate and whisk until melted and mixture is smooth. Add eggs, vanilla, shortening and butter and continue to whisk until smooth and all ingredients are incorporated fully. Add flour, sugar and salt and mix with rubber spatula until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until cake tester or toothpick inserted halfway between edge and center comes out with just a few crumbs adhering - 30-35 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack to cool 1 1/2 hours.
- Using foil sling, lift brownies from the pan and return to wire rack to cool completely. Slice in 2-inch squares and serve.
These brownies will keep for up to 1 week stored in an airtight container. They actually get more chewy and rich if you allow them to sit overnight before serving.
For Double Chocolate Pecan Brownies: Add 1-1/4 cup of chopped pecans with the chocolate chips and stir well.
Total time: 1 hour
Number of servings (yield): 15
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Copyright © Buck Bannister and Sugar Pies.
Recipe adapted by .