|Moist and Luscious chocolate brownie topped with swirls|
of decadent caramel!
I used to think Mama was nuts because she would sit down in the evening with a cup of coffee and read through a cookbook like other people might a novel. Now that I'm enjoying my time in the kitchen I find myself doing the same thing. A new cookbook arrives and I just have to sit down and go over it cover to cover.
This new cookbook is a real treat because not only does it give you some wonderful holiday recipes but also gives you some great ideas about how to gift your creations. From decorative boxes made from old aluminum foil boxes that are perfect for little round cookies to tips and tricks for packing cookies for shipping, the book is a treasure trove of information for your holiday baking needs. I heartily recommend it.
But, back to our brownies. These little things are lush. They're wonderfully moist and chewy with a big chocolate flavor enhanced by the caramel swirls. They're also really attractive with their marbled pattern. I actually found these were better on the second day when the flavors melded. Right out of the oven the chocolate is very vibrant and you miss the nice caramel notes. After sitting overnight, the flavors were much more balanced and spectacular!
You'll want to keep these in an airtight container in the fridge and eat within 3 days. You can also store these in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just thaw before eating (or gifting).
This recipe calls for eggs meeting hot chocolate and caramel so remember to temper those eggs!
So, settle back and enjoy some lovely caramel and chocolate in this lush decadent brownie!
Caramel Swirl Brownies
Luscious chocolate and caramel in a rich moist brownie.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 12 to 16 brownies
- 3/4 cup butter, cut up in pieces
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 tbs. sugar
- 3 eggs + 1 yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 12 vanilla caramels (unwrapped)
- 1 tbs. milk
- Preheat oven to 350° and line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan (or 9x9x2-inch) with aluminum foil, allowing the edges of the foil to overhang by 1 to 2 inches. Grease the pan and foil.
- In a medium saucepan cook and stir the butter and chocolate over medium-low heat until chocolate melts. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared baking pan spreading evenly.
- In a small saucepan combine the caramels, cream cheese, 1 tbs. sugar and milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat just until melted and smooth (be patient and resist the urge to crank up the heat!) Remove from heat. In a small bowl beat 1 egg yolk and gradually stir into mixture.
- Drop the caramel mixture by spoonfuls over brownie mixture in pan. Using the edge of a small thin spatula or butter knife, swirl the caramel with the chocolate batter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top springs back when touched and edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. It's best to under bake a bit than to over bake! Cool the brownies in the pan on a wire rack. When cool, use the foil to lift the brownies out of the pan. Place on a cutting board; cut brownies into squares or rectangles.