For that reason, I've cut back on my baking a good bit as I've shifted my "treats" to more fresh ingredients and fruits. The results have been good. I've dropped almost 30 pounds and am feeling better. So, I decided to feature a little recipe that uses one of my favorite fresh fruits, bananas.
While the posts here aren't as frequent, you can always find great recipes, contests and more on the Facebook Page. Be sure to check it out!
This snack cake is really quick and easy. You can have it put together, baked and ready to serve in about 30 minutes. The chocolate and banana together is a delicious combo and adding some hot fudge sauce or caramel to top it off makes this a really nice dessert to share with friends and family. Add a couple banana slices on top or a dollop of cinnamon flavored whipped cream on the side for an even more elegant dress up to this simple cake.
Banana and Chocolate Snack Cake
Quick and easy snack cake made with fresh bananas and chocolate.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup small chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8x8x2-inch baking pan; set pan aside. In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, beating until combined. Beat in egg until well combined. Beat in banana and vanilla until combined. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. (Batter may appear slightly curdled.) Stir in chocolate pieces. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes. If desired, serve warm with fudge or caramel topping and banana slices. Makes 9 servings.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 9 pieces
Calories per serving: 232
Fat per serving: 8g